Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:02:05 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: '85 Vanagon Sunroofy 1.9L - Coolant BLeeding/Thermostat/Fan
              Switch
Comments: To: Dustin Fitch <dfitch@MASSINSIGHT.COM>

You repeatedly use the word "water" in your post. If you are using straight water you will fail. Be sure to use 50/50 coolant and water. If you have flushed the system with water, add 2 gallons of straight coolant first and then clean water until full.

The system holds over 4 gallons total. Water boils at about 210 degrees F, 50/50 mix boils at about 270 degrees F.

Remove the upper grill to get to the bolt used for bleeding the radiator. It is at the top of the radiator on the side that the hoses come to.

Mark

Dustin Fitch wrote: > > Hey y'all. Recently did some work on the metal coolant lines on my Vanagon > after an overheating incident. I lost alot of fluid and assume I have taken > on alot of air. After my coolant line fix, I'm experiencing > overheating/knocking of the pipes underneath like the pipes in an old house > with steam heat. I am now in the process of bleeding the system. Can you > folks check me on the process I'm using to bleed? I've poured over the > archives about this and thermostats (which I have a question on too! I'm a > little scared!). > > To bleed my system: At the start I filled the main water tank and filled > the reservoir. I started the motor. There is a bleeder valve coming off a > hose at the top back of my motor. I open that and boy, talk about steam > heat...that baby is just steaming mad like crazy. My motor does not heat up > past half way on the gauge though. So, I let that run a while at 2000 rpm. > I shut down. Let the bleeder hissing stop and recap it. As the system > cools down I can hear water in the system kind of sucking through > there...not sure which way. Eventually, the main water tank drinks the > reservoir and as it does, I fill the reservoir until it stops drinking, > careful not to let it suck air. Then, I start over. > > The first time I did this, it didn't drink a whole lot...but the second and > third times I did, it took a good drink. Well, that third time, the steam > was still just as strong as ever and the only time I get a little bit of > coolant to come out is when I shut down and as it cools, then the steam > pisses out with some coolant. > > So, if I keep doing this, am I on the right track to getting all that air > out? If there is a bleeder valve on the radiator up front on the bottom, I > sure as hec cannot find it. The only one I see is coming off this hose at > the top back of my motor. I mean, it may take longer using just this > bleeder, but will I get it eventually if I keep doing what I'm doing? > > ...................