Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:09:43 -0400
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil Weight Recomendation

>> But that doesn't explain why 10-30W is not good for it. Although the hp >> output of the mower may exceed that of my van....... :-)

>HP isn't the criterion, its the internal design of the bearing, engine >lube pressure,

I was joking :(

>10-30W could be far too low viscosity under cold conditions.

I seldom mow my lawn when it is snowing <g>

>Think of the origins of the classification system - a large body of >knowledge about straight oils and little if >any about multi-weight oils.

Are you inferring that no one knows anything about multiweight oil?

>Another tip is to trust that design engineers know a little bit more >about what they've designed than they are usually >given credit for, especially when it comes to Vanagons!

I am a design engineer, and I wouldn't trust anyone blindly about anything....

So I should blindly trust one engineer who makes a great car, and ignore the ones who make the oil?

Still no answers on why anyone should use straight weight over multigrade?

At higher temps, is 20-50W the same viscosity as just 50W?

Thanks,

John