Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:52:24 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need advice on replacing accelerator pedal(correction!)
Comments: To: tmarciniak@WI.RR.COM

Tim: My post of 7;47 am is not quite correct. The spot where I had the binding was not where that lever enters the AT, but rather near the top end of that lever, where the rod to the throttle attaches (just below where the cable from the front hooks on). It had been about a year since I first worked on it so I did not recall the configuration accurately. Since the accelerator on my van has recently started to stick again, your post reminded me to do something. I just went out and depressed the pedal hard all the way, and it stayed down. From underneath I believe that I verified that there was a little slack in the cable and that it was not stopping the throttle from returning to closed. I sprayed the suspected spot vigorously with penetrating oil and worked the linkage back and forth. I repeated the gas pedal test and it no longer sticks. The boot around the end of the cable is shot on mine too, but I smear grease on it regularly. My wife like to drag race against 18 wheelers as she pulls away from toll booths. A few days ago I had to warn her not to press the gas pedal down too hard as I had noticed it starting to stick. She was not pleased with the prospect of a runaway van. I told her that the acceleration was probably not great enough that anyone would notice, and that the pedal would come back up eventually. ;-)

Larry A.

Tim Marciniak wrote: > > I searched the archives and find lots of posts on corroded and broken > accelerator cables but nothing that really described replacing this > cable. Just wondering how difficult it is. Near the auto > transmission my cable is rusty and corroded because the boot that > covers it has pulled away from its attachment point. When I press > the accelerator pedal to the floor--it sticks--and then a few moments > later it releases. I have dried to spray WD40 onto the cable and > this has only been marginally effective. There are also a couple of > coolant hoses in the way that prevent me from actually touching this > cable. Bentley has pictures but gives no direction as to how to > replace it only talks about adjustment. Just wondering if any one > has done the R/R of this cable? Wondering if threading a new cable > back through is difficult? Do you thread from back or front? Do I > need to replace the plastic sheathing? Is adjustment difficult? > > TIA > > Tim > 90 Multivan Automatic > --