Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:00:33 -0700
From:         patrice b <prb@TELEVAR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need info on making curtains, rods, etc.

I drilled little holes and screwed in upholstery snaps (gotten at an auto/marine upholstery shop)...then I added snaps to insulated fabric panels (panels are flat, not ruffled like curtains) that I take off and fold or (in the back windows) unsnap the tops and let hang from the bottom two snaps. four snaps per window at the corners is how I did mine. This way the cat I travel with can't push aside the curtains and check out ever possum walking by all night long!

I used quilted fabric with teflon on one side (like they make hotmitts and ironing board covers out of) at a large fabric store, and put it between two layers of sheet-weight printed fabric that I liked on the Walmart dollar-per-yard table (it takes about 12 yards). The layers of regular shirting/sheeting /dress-weight fabric will not keep the van dark enough for me to sleep with rest stop lights or daylight. The teflon coated quilt stuff stops light. But it's all still machine wash and dry-able (preshrink fabrics, of course, before sewing.)

There are quilted/insulated window-specific liner fabrics available at fabric stores ("Warm Window" brand comes to mind) but these all say dry clean only, and that ain't something I do. A friend with snap-on panel curtains had hers made out of that Sunbrella fabric they make awnings and such from, but that wasn't soft and 'homey' enough for me-- but it's one layer/easier construction.

One of the things I like about the snap-to-frame curtains is that when I open doors the curtains move out of the way and then are in place again when I close the door. I have a loop on the top corner of the curtain over the sliding door window so I can undo the upper and lower snaps at the door's opening edge and hook it to the old curtain knob-- that way I can leave the door open for ventilation and still have the curtain across the top to block sun and peering eyes.

--Ptarice 85GL "VanaBlue"

---------- > From: KLR CS <a9klrcs251@YAHOO.COM> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Need info on making curtains, rods, etc. > Date: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 11:36 AM > > I'm looking for some information on making new > curtains for my Vanagon. Can anybody recommend a > particular fabric that works well. Perhaps also a > fabric that has a good insulating quality. > > The other thing is the curtain sliders. The original > curtains on my ASI Riviera had little poppers on the > back that held plastic pieces that allowed the curtain > to slide on the plastic curtain runners. I'm not sure > if the Westfalias are the same; probobly. > > What I'd really like is to find a resource that I can > purchase new curtain rails and slider items to use on > the new curtains. Metal and plastic curtain > rods/wires will probobly work fine too, but it'd be > nice to get a close to original setup. > > Anyone tried miniblinds or net/lace-type curtains in > their camper? > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs > http://www.hotjobs.com