Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:43:38 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Transmission cooler
Comments: To: 72510.1173@COMPUSERVE.COM

The transmission pump is definitely a positive displacement pump designed to produce hydraulic pressure required to operate the clutches and valves. Most of the heat in an automatic transmission is developed in the torque converter. The Vanagon converter is heavily finned and does an excellent job keeping itself cool. In fact, the air cooled busses use this set up with no additional cooling at all. The first step would be to measure trans oil temp and see if you even have a problem. If you decide you need an external cooler, remove the stock cooler from the front of the transmission, block off the coolant hoses and get 90 metric fittings to attach hoses to the transmission. An additional advantage of this is to keep the transmission heat from getting into the engine cooling system.

Dennis

What kind of pump does the automatic transmission use to circulate transmission fluid through the transmission oil/water cooler?

The engine oil pump is a positive displacement pump and up to the oil pressure relief setting, the pump increases oil pressure to overcome pressure drops while maintaining oil flow rate (for a constant oil temperature). So when I add an oil cooler, the pump increases its outlet pressure to make up for the additional pressure drop incurred by additional fittings, piping and the oil cooler.

I am considering adding a tranny cooler in addition to the oil cooler that I am installing. I am concerned that the transmission oil pump, if not a positive displacement pump, may ride up the pump curve and starve the transmission of oil. Can anyone shed some light on the issues of installing a transmission oil cooler? Perhaps I would need to install an accessory pump in series to overcome the additional pressure drop of the tranny cooler and its fittings.

Has anyone ever monitored the temperature of the automatic transmission under varying load and ambient temperature conditions?

Thanks, Helen & Joe Fahy '87 Westy