Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Aug 2002 15:12:14 -0700
From:         dave bowers <dave@SPARKPLUG.COM>
Subject:      OEM vs. FLAPS window cranks?

Hi Folks,

I recently had to replace a window crank on the passenger side of my 1986 Westy. Rather than order it online & pay too much shipping (for such a light item) then wait who knows how long for one, I simply went to my local auto parts store (Shucks Auto) and bought one.

It fit fine, and seemed to match my interior.

3 days later, when I went to open my window, the grab handle head simple broke off! It's a chinsy piece of plastic, riveted into a hole. No screw, bolt or nut holding it on. I wasn't pulling on it hard either. I chalked it up as a fluke, and bought another (~ 5 bux) from a different local parts store.

Last night, my girlfriend went to close the window, and the same thing happened. Um, DOH!

I understand, one does get what they pay for, however my concern is, that the handles I order online will be the same bad quality as the local ones I bought, plus shipping. I'd love to know if OEM handles are better quality.

Alternatively, I'd love to know if there are any 3rd party handles I can buy or salvage off another model of wrecked car that will work on my van. I don't want to buy/break another if I can avoid it.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be a great help. Please feel free to email me directly if you like.

Thanks in advance,

dave :) -- dave bowers Portland, Oregon 1986 Westy "G2"