Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:47:33 -0500
From:         Fredrich Hesterberg <FredsVW@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: Custom Scoop Update - Friday Edition
Comments: To: minor35@JUNO.COM

I like idea of chicken coop or barn vent on roof of Van to remove hot air. Don't you think it would be loud ? They make big noise when spinning, no bearings. How high off roof should be to work good?

Good Morning,

Fred

E-mail message

OK here we go again! I worked for Triangle Engineering in 1975 as a marketing manager. Triangle engineering was, at the time the worlds largest manufacturer of Roof Top Turbine Ventilators. After exhaustive testing at Texas A&M university with about ten varieties of ventilators that were designed to suck. None of them sucked, they all drafted exactly in proportion to the size of the hole in the roof. Since heat rises and the wind blows when it rains it makes them twirl. Its apparent to me that we need a twirling scoop. That way it would perform exactly like the hole it covers. All of you folks have seen my half assed wind ram at http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/vent.htm Now this thing blows your sun glasses off at 60 mph as well as dehydrating any fruit you happen to have in the van. So a ram vent is a real help if you stick an oil cooler behind it. Granted you're going to get a fair amount of dirt, insects, rain in your cooler and in your engine compartment but wow! its great to be cool. Not me bubba, I just stop and turn it around facing backwards and it becomes an exhaust vent on rainy days. Stan Wilder

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 01:04:36 EDT Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM> writes: Why don't you all just say scoops suck because they don't suck? Put a damned exhaust fan in the rear and ground touching skirts on your damned vans and let's move on. You are all neglecting the fact that some folks want scoops because they don't suck in the looks department though they suck in the function department. BenT out of shape