Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Aug 2002 14:11:23 -0400
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Strange Ignition Problem

Even though this list is full of great answers, and you may find the answer on your own, this may be an issue for you to make VWOA aware of due to the *possible* hazard involved in not being able to kill the ignition.

I'd be willing to guess you were on the right track with the ignition switch, though it may be a combination of the ignition switch and a relay (or two??) that are at issue.

Developing business and guiding change since 1996,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Marketing & Communications Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u Phone: +1.919.658.1278

87 Vanagon GL Wolfsbug, Digifant, 2.1l, manual transmission

After work the other day I shut off the Vanagon as usual, nothing out of the ordinary. A few hours later I come outside and the reverse lights are on, the keys are not in the ignition, but the warning lights are all on and the idle stabilizer is buzzing. I put the key in, turn it to run, then start, the battery is too run down to crank but it acts as though it would start. The ignition remained on regardless of key position. I disconnected the battery and left it for the night.

My first assumption was the electrical portion of the ignition switch was bad. So I reconnected the battery, warning lights back on, and pull the connector off of the ignition switch, no change. I do notice that the headlights and door buzzer do not work with the key out, the headlights still require the key to be in run. So the switch is not the problem.

I charged the battery, started the engine with the key, runs fine. I switch the key off, still runs, I remove the key, still running. I remove the negative battery cable from the battery, still running. At this point I pull the AFM cable, the engine dies.

So has anyone had a similar problem? I'm going to continue tracking the problem, I'll post anymore findings.

Dave

87 Vanagon GL Wolfsburg

61 Microbus

88 GTI 16v