Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Aug 2002 13:22:38 +0100
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      van still won't start

Sigh! 81 Air Cooled, FI, half a tank of gas......

Mostly just because there is no one to tell around here, I will take advantage of the community and express my frustration.

Last weekend, I had to tow my van home after the no-start, and when it got back home, it started right up.

Got some good advice and support from you folks, and checked out the suggestions.

I did a compression check, 100-110, not great, but its been like that for at least two years. Plugs are fine, I haven't checked the fuel pump pressure yet. All I did was several attempts to isolate the fuel lines from the engine, by moving, and wrapping them in foil.

Hadn't driven the van since, so today I figured I would take it for a drive, and come home without stopping anywhere and see what happened. However, when I saw the fresh corn for sale a mere mile from my house, I thought I would stop and get some. Took not five minutes to get there, five to get the corn, and it won't start.........

Its only around 85 degrees today.

I walked through the supermarket across the way for about fifteen minutes, and then went back to give it a try. Started, idled for a few secs, and then died with the same symptoms, which are cranking, and no sign of any ignition.

Not sure what to do next, or what to look at. Just very disapointed with it.

Got a little over half a tank of gas. When it was running, it ran great. No indication of timing or other problems. Ran like it always does.

I cannot convince myself it is related to vapor lock as it didn't run for ten whole minutes before I shut it off. Its only about 85 degrees out today.

Plus, I walked home without the damn corn, and now I don't have it to eat while I wait a few hours to go back and get the van! :-)

Anyway, guess I will AAA it over to my mechanic and will report back what they find. I did look at the cost of a new fuel pump and wasn't too thrilled about that :-)

John