Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Aug 2002 16:20:22 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Strange Ignition Problem
Comments: To: "Filcoff, David M." <FilcoffD@MISSOURI.EDU>

Yep, I expected you would find the problem in the engine compartment rather than up front. Ground point #12 seemed like a likely candidate. VW chose to put many important grounds on the one spot. A careful cleaning and tightening might be a wise move for all waterboxer owners. 1.9 models have a similar vital ground point on the top of the left head where it is more subject to heat, vibration, and corrosion.

Here is a list of items that share that one grounding bolt on 2.1 models.

fuel pump ECU relay OX2 heater temp gauge sender coolant level sensor crankcase vent heating element brake lights, tail lights, turn signals, lic plate lights

On 1.9 models it's tied to these.

ECU ECU relay Temp 2 sensor idle and throttle switches aux air regulator temp gauge sender coolant level sensor

Wheezerboxer motors have it too but I don't do those anymore.

Mark

"Filcoff, David M." wrote: > > Thanks for the tip, while disconnecting the black wires I bumped the ground connection located on the sheetmetal under the coil, the idle stabilizer valve shut off for a second and the fuel pump primed. So I cleaned up the connections, replaced the rusty bolt with a new one and the problem is gone. > > Dave