Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Aug 2002 19:26:54 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Not passing smog, still... Need help!
Comments: To: Steven Dodson <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM>

I strongly suspect that weak cylinder is putting off enough unburned hydrocarbons that the mean effect is you are out of the range of adjustment for the system. What is the min spec for compression?? About 102 if memory serves. You certainly are out of spec for total difference between cylinders. This creates a situation where the oxy is reading an average of 3 lean cylinders and 1 rich, resulting in the oxy sending false data to the ECU. The fact that you cannot get open loop below 0.5v verifies the weakness is beyond the operating parameters of the system.

Now, if your mechanic was aware of the compression imbalance and didn't recognize that as an issue of high concern, he has not the knowledge to be servicing Bosch systems. Moreover, if he didn't do a compression test very early in his analysis, he is incompetent to do diagnostic work. I don't care if his wall is full of certifications, his actions are definitive in this regard.

This is why proper procedure requires you verify mechanicals first. If that's out of spec and you don't know it, you can futz with it till hell freezes over and never get spec tune. Mechanics who don't follow proper procedures are a bane to society.

The charcoal hose should be a clear (yellow with age) vinyl hose entering the motor compartment at the right upper front and running directly to the upper air filter cover. It fits on a round fitting, about 12mm diameter, and originally was clamped with a permanent squeeze ear type clamp.