Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Aug 2002 20:27:49 -0400
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      van won't start, making progress

81 Air Cooled, Fuel Injection.

I think after and afternoon of messing with it, I can ask some intelligent questions, as opposed to "it don't work <g>"

I used the bentley and a lamp to test the double relay and it checked out okay.

As daylight faded, its stuck in the street with no way to get it up the driveway to the garage, I figured what the heck and cut the fuel line that crosses over to the injectors on the left side.

Cranked the engine, and no fuel. Since I can't work on it right now, I wanted to ask if anyone could explain the fuel delivery system. Bentley is teaching me, but its slow going. :)

I could live with needing a new pump, but I can't sleep wondering <g> Assuming the fuel is reaching the pump, and I just replaced the fuel filter a month ago, are there secrets to AFC system that I don't yet understand which would give me a reason to suspect something other than the fuel pump, or its electrical connections.

The output of the pump goes right to that crossover line, or so I am led to believe, and in the world of carbed machines where I grew up, if there was no fuel at the carb, there was blockage, or the pump wasn't working. Does this apply in AFC as well, or are there other sections that could be failing to prevent the pump from doing its thing.

I suspect there is more to it than this, as the Clymer manual says to disconnect the return fuel line? from the pressure regulator, which is under the vehicle. Does that mean that something else could prevent the fuel from reaching the line I cut, other than the pump failing, or blockage?

Life is such that the van sits along the curb in the street, so I cannot get underneath and test the pump. I will have to assemble a gang on Monday to push it into the garage......

Do all vans have the big cover over the bottom of the van, or is it their on mine because of the aux heater? That thing is a drag for getting at the pump.

Anything anyone can add would be appreciated, as now I feel like I should be able to fix this myself, rather than taking the easy way out and towing it to the shop. :) Once I found the Clymer manual in the basement, it made it a little easier to test stuff, as the Bentley doesn't offer much in the way of troubleshooting.

Thanks for the help and moral support.

Regards,

John