Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Aug 2002 09:28:11 -0700
From:         Oakland Westfalia <westfalia@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Window trim ??

87 GL Installed black screen spline purchased at Home Depot for $2.29 in the groove where my yellowed nasty front window trim used to be yesterday. The job took about an hour using silicone spray to lubricate the rubber trim and a screwdriver to expand the opening for installation. It was tedious, but got easier as I went along.

Before investing the time and money (hah!) to install the spline to replace the function (?) of the original window trim, I searched the archives for messages about "window trim." Many listees think replacing the trim is unnecessary and experience no leaks or problems over long periods of time with the window trim simply removed. However, one listee had done some "research" on junked Vanagons removing the front windshield from inside both with and without the original trim in place. He said is was approximately half as difficult to remove the window (presumably with his feet) with the original trim removed as with the trim in place. Another listee actually admitted to experiencing leaks as a result of removing the trim. This last message got my attention and led me to conclude that it would be better to be safe than sorry. My Westy is rust free and I want to keep it that way.

I pressed on the seals at the corners as I installed the spline, and it indeed appears that the corners WITH the spline were slightly stronger and less resistent to pressure than the corners WITHOUT the spline. In the end, I just feel better with the spline in place. As many listees point out, with certain topics on this list (tires, engine replacements, auxillary batteries, now window trim) the approach is to research, ponder, discuss, then draw your own conclusion. What is right for you many not be right for the next person.

TIP: if doing this job yourself, consider your dominant hand in deciding the direction of spline installation. I am right-handed. Installing the spline counter-clockwise (facing the back of the van) is much easier than installing clockwise. Vice versa if you are left handed.

Hola.

-Al