Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Aug 2002 14:48:59 -0400
From:         SpaceKommander <jboldway@BEE.NET>
Subject:      inspection worries redux

>I hope you end up behind bars for a long long time.

YOU have never gone over the speed limit? Speeding is illegal. Ever have a garage sale? Did you check to see if you need to get a permit from the town? Did you report the profits on your 1040? Ever get a monetary gift from your parents? I'm sure you followed the law and reported that on your 1040 also, right? - by law you have to. Don't be so sanctimonious. I mentioned I kept the vehicles insured so in the event of an accident that was my fault (almost 25 years of driving with none yet) the other person would be covered. There was no such thing as emission inspection when I started driving. I'm angry that the laws are so restrictive regarding emission/inspection that many people now drive an unregistered (and because of that an un-insured thanks to the morons in government reporting it to the insurance companies) vehicle. I was hit by somebody with an uninsured vehicle - I had to shell out a $1000 deductible because the other driver was un-insured thanks to failing emissions and having the registration canceled and then reported to insurance company - who then canceled their policy. They smashed up the front of my new Cadillac DeVille. I'm just saying that if you get a .09 reading on some emissions thing when it should be .08 and don't have the money to spend a fortune on your car - what's the big deal? All the driving you do from repair shop to repair shop to reduce the level from .09 to .08 probably causes more pollution . . . . So long as you can drive a inusred safe car that's all that matters to me.

The idiots in MA would not let me register my 80 Dodge Aspen because I had souped up the engine and it did not have the stock "parts." They even physically tried to prevent me from driving my car out of their shop (they failed) because I did not have a catalytic converter (safety fail on inspection). It passed emissions with flying colours but they failed it because of "modified components" and a safety failure because it did not have a catalytic converter. So, I drove it un-registered but insured for two years. If you can get insurance on the car and drive it un-registered or un-inspected for emissions that's OK by me. What harm to the world does that do? Oooooh I'm not following the law . . . bad bad boy. We had some idiot on the list mention how he was going to get a rabbit or something like that and then "wreck it" so he could collect insurance and then buy it back to get the motor. Or people describing insurance fraud (I've seen a few of these described on list). This hurts everybody. There's a big difference between driving an unregistered (but insured) car and insurance fraud. Think for a change . . . what causes what?