Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Aug 2002 22:07:48 -0400
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      fuel pump doesn't work, or not :-)

The continuing saga of Why Won't My Van Start?

81 Air cooled, fuel injection.

Got the van into the garage, and couldn't resist just diving under and checking the pump directly.

I checked the filter and there is fuel at the input to the pump.

I was going to jumper 12V right to the pump, but found no way to ID the + terminal, so I put the ammeter in line with the lower terminal and cranked the engine. The pump drew 8 amps, which the books say is correct.

I took this to verify that the pump is getting power, and is not pumping. Hooray!

Then I tried the other methods to test the pump. Pulled the cable from the air sensor and shorted 36 and 39. As I read it, this should turn on the pump. The meter said no current.

Then I reconnected the air sensor, and went into the air filter case and pushed on the stator flap, which should turn on the pump. No current to the pump.

If the pump draws current when cranking, why is it that the other test methods give different results?

Which pin is + on the fuel pump??

I think I am almost there, but I am not sure when I will know that I have arrived <g>

Still feeling grateful for all the help I have been getting.

Thanks,

John