Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:58:11 -0400
From:         Dustin Fitch <dfitch@MASSINSIGHT.COM>
Subject:      Coolant Bleed Success Yesterday...Today...'85 Surging Idle.AHH!

Hello again today my volks friends....yesterday I got alot of great responses on how to flush my coolant and re-fill getting all of the air out. Thank you all so much for the help..... Last night I went home, jacked up that front end and worked with that bleeder at the top of the radiator....back to the back...back to the front...back and forth....cool down.....start again.....well, it worked great and the bubbling in my pressure tank has stopped....those air bubbles are history!

Took it out for a drive. (Fan still did not kick on by the way....I'm going to replace the fan switch...I've got no juice up front where the elec. line connects to the fan motor). So, I got home, all satisfied and feeling good. YAY!......however.....just before I shut it down, the idle started to surge......from 1000 rpm up to about 1800rpm...nice and steady just like it thinks it's supposed to do that!! I said no. It didn't care. Surge, surge surge surge. I've never had this problem before. Now....I read alot of archives....I've heard alot about the o2 sensor (which I just replaced two weeks ago), I've heard about vacuum lines, I've heard about idle stabilizer/valve, leaks in the exhaust (the exhaust is all new on mine), I've heard ECU.....I saw alot in the archives. What I'm wondering is this:

1) Knowing I just did a coolant flush and refill......and at first was using the bleeder in the engine compartment (yes, at first try, I had coolant and hot steam going on in big time in the motor compartment.....crazy steam! but it has run for me without surge since that...a few times anyway)....knowing I just went through this messy ordeal.....is there any of the suggested causes that I read in the archives that would be most likely affected by the coolant flush I just finished?.....so many options in the archives....where shoul I start?... checking vacuum lines and grounds I assume......

I would be surprised if my ECU or something like that went at the same time I just finished this flush, refill process....I mean, maybe, but what a coincidence if that's the case!! Only thing I can think of is that I broke a whire on something by accident or I knocked off a vacuum line from something.

Any suggestions? TIA!

Dustin - '85 Vangaon ~ "Chuba" (Surging Chuba....hey, thats not bad!)