Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:43:27 -0400
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Spare Parts List - Input
Comments: To: David Brodbeck <gull@CYBERSPACE.ORG>

I agree. My Dad who is a private pilot made this comment about flying over water:

"I would rather fly on a 2100 hour engine than a 100 hour engine" Essentially, an engine 100 hours past it's overhaul time would have less question marks than a new engine with only 100 hours on it.

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:35:39 -0400 >From: David Brodbeck <gull@CYBERSPACE.ORG> >Subject: Re: Spare Parts List - Input >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Larry Chase wrote: > >> Current plan is to replace existing parts that seem to be fine with new and >> use the originals for spares. > >I personally wouldn't do this, unless you have time to drive the van >around for a couple weeks before taking it out. You know the current >parts are good, because the van's running on them -- why take a chance on >a bunch of replacements you can't be sure about? > >My rule of thumb is to avoid doing major maintenance at the last minute >before a long trip, if at all possible. Give it at *least* a week of >driving in between so you know your repair hasn't broken something else, >and the new parts are good. Parts replacements are disruptive -- bolts >get loosened, hoses get shoved around, electrical connectors get >disturbed. All of these can cause problems of their own that won't crop >up until after a few hours of vibration. And new parts sometimes suffer >'infant mortality.' > >I think an alternator may be over-cautious. They don't fail *that* often, >you can get quite a ways with a bad one by getting battery charges at auto >parts stores, and most places can probably get one in a day at most. The >ECU also strikes me as overkill -- yes, it's important, but how often do >they actually fail? That's a pretty expensive part to buy 'just in case', >especially when there are a few vendors that you can get one overnighted >from. If it makes you sleep better, though, it may be worth the money. > >You may want to carry a few sizes of coolant hose patch kits, just in case >-- the little barbed connectors and clamps they sell in auto parts stores. > > _ _ > __ _ _ _| | | | David M. Brodbeck (N8SRE) Ypsilanti, MI > / _` | | | | | | +----------------------------------------- ------------ >| (_| | |_| | | | @ cyberspace.org > \__, |\__,_|_|_| "The VW camper is a brilliant invention -- it's like a > |___/ Swiss army knife for the road... It's the stealth RV." > -- Wayne Curtis