Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:31:56 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      AW: morons
Comments: To: SpaceKommander <jboldway@BEE.NET>

Sensors are calibrated for temperature, not for chemical composition . That one coolant will heat up more or less is true, which means it will heat up faster or slower, depending more on the anti-freeze /water ratio and chemical composition. I have no scientific data but when coolant reaches the temperature the switch is calibrated for, it closes and the radiator fan is activated. The sensor or switch merely completes the fan power circuit when it closes. When it doesn't close at the calibrated temp, then the switch is bad. The switch doesn't analyze the coolant composition- so the dealer sales person is wrong. Properly operating cooling systems turn fans on and off at specific coolant temperatures, say 180 degrees (or 80 c).The Vanagon low speed fan switch comes on at this temp. The high speed if the temp reaches 210 degrees. The proper coolant ratio and top condition components in the pressurized system is supposed to keep the operation temperatures below boiling. A weak system shows up overheating problems when driving up into the mountains not just because the the engine is working harder or hot weather. Water boils at temperatures as low as 190 degrees at very high elevations like in the Rockies. So, besides the top condition system you need the proper coolant /water ratio. Pressurizing raises the boiling point-so a leaking system will lower it. Anti-freeze raises the boiling point- not enough lowers it. I have been using DEX-Cool or Prestone extended life orange in my inline -four for 4 years now with no problems at $8.00 a gallon. It is ethylene glycol, and phosphate free. The WBX vanagons I have used it in for the last three years show no problems either.I have seen more than one Vanagon WBX owner leaking blue coolant. I don't say that the blue is better or worse, but I don't think it's better than the orange stuff. I do believe you should not use the green stuff- all of it has phosphates and is propylene glycol. I'm just going by the WBX coolant tank warning label, to only use ethylene glycol based coolants. As long as it says ethylene glycol phosphate free, it's WBX safe. Even if you want to buy the blue, a gallon or two still is a lot cheaper than engine repairs. I fully agree with the dealer that anti-freeze can foul up the fuel injection system- that is if you pour it into your gas tank!

Robert 1982 Westfalia Seattle

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ----- Von: SpaceKommander Gesendet: Thursday, August 22, 2002 9:09 AM An: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Betreff: morons

OK, I'm really going to flame folks here and expect to be deluged with hate mail.

The guy behind the VW parts counter in Wichita said he was the rep who went to Germany for VW Vanagon training for the USA.

He mentioned that you MUST use VW coolant as the sensors were calibrated for it. He said even the Fuel Injection could be screwed up if I used something else for coolant. Coolant/water ratio was also important. Look, it's an extra $10.00 per gallon. How much do you use? An extra $10 per year seems a good investment if it just might help solve some of my engine/cooling problems. He said the Vanagons in Germany did not have the head gasket problems we did. Is it cooling related? Cooldown after highway related? Whatever. Trying to save $10 by buying green prestone or whatever seems like nonsense.Holen Sie mehr aus dem Web. Unter http://explorer.msn.de/intl.asp#de gibt es einen KOSTENLOSEN Download von MSN Explorer.