Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:48:35 -0600
From:         Mike Blotz <Mike.Blotz@PEARLIZUMI.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Spare Parts List - Input
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

hello gang

new here to the vanagon list--but a syncro list member for some time now--so hello

As far as what i would take--I'm kind of a pack rat and my trips usually involve not being anywhere near major cities. i've even taken a spare engine in my 66 kombi before--haha--mostly cause it was being stored in the van--so why remove it. Over kill for sure. But i've been trained mostly by the "idiot guide". the opening chapter in there states that his vehicles were in better condition when he got to the end of his destination than when he left. doing several engine rebuilds under the lone bush in the desert--ouch.

items I would take.

#1: Definately coolant system related items. most of the more common problems with vanagons are coolant related in my opinion. probably just a jug of coolant, clamps, some hoses.

#2: basic electrial items like fuses and spare bulbs.

#3 as fro the ECU. i've actually chatted with several people who carry spare ECU's. they dont seem to go bad that often and are expensive if you buy from the dealer. who does that? ECU's can be had good/used for fairly cheap. i know i'm buying a spare.

#4: some quarts of oil for sure. i dont know how many times i've been on the road in my aircooleds and have blown something a long ways form the nearest exit. some oil got me there and saved me a tow--$5 versus $100 tow.

#5 and most important. TOOLS. ya cant do a thing with out them. make/get a nice tool chest that fits under the seat. tools are very inviting to thieves. i had entire tool collection stolen in San Fransico once (along with many other things--i was alot lighter for the rest of my trip)

#6 a nice jack

#7 various boon docks type camping supplies. hachet, saw, etc.

#8 and i would take a laptop to cronicle my trip on a web page and have easy access to part suppliers via email. Check out : http://www.motorearth.com/ these are my buddies who did india by motorbike for a year and a half

other than that--I'd probably do fresh tires on all 5 and rotate often. if ya blow one--you can probalby get away with only buying one since they are new

I've been giving this lots of thought as i am actually triing to coordinate a south america motorcycle trip with syncro support.