Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:55:22 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@UBC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Spare Parts List - Input

On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, at 07:14 AM, G. Matthew Bulley wrote: > Maybe it is just a difference in Preventive maintenance philosophy, but > don't take Jack-diddly with me on trips, and I've been across North > America in VW/Porsches 12 times, 5 of which went deep into Mexico.

While I agree with Bulley that you shouldn't become preoccupied with carrying every part and tool for the myriad failure scenarios an older vehicle could present you with, I think a key question to factor in before creating your spare parts list is: just where are you planning to take your bus?

If you're going to stay on main highways and in places that are either populated or reasonably close to towns of reasonable size and accessibility to the "outside" world, then what the heck, just throw in a small tool kit with basic tools, some wire, duct tape, brake fluid, coolant, oil and filter, fuel filter, fuel line and an assortment of clamps and zap straps and proceed on to have a great trip.

If you're thinking you'll get well off the beaten path and explore in remote areas, then you've got to listen to your self-preservation instinct and prepare accordingly.

It may just be a matter of convenience: if you lose an alternator (which *really* doesn't happen often at all) up in the Yukon Territory a few hundred kms from the nearest pavement, despite the best efforts of any list vendors and Fedex, you ain't going to get a part in less than 3 to 5 days--once you make it to the "nearest" "town," that is. No biggie, though. That'd be just an inconvenience and an opportunity to get to know Eagle Plains, YT *really* well. (Incidentally, I actually *did* lose an alternator in the Yukon a few years ago and was glad someone in our group had a spare--saved me a few days slapping black flies).

If you're thinking of heading up remote undeveloped roads into the mountains, for instance, the consequences of an ill-prepared break-down could be a little more than an inconvenience. A couple weekends ago I took by westy 94 km away from the nearest pavement down a logging road. My clutch slave cylinder got whacked by a chucked rock and started leaking. When I discovered the failure in the morning, camped (alone) at a remote site, the clutch pedal dropped straight to the floor. I was rather glad I had a litre of brake fluid and tools to bleed the hydraulic line, otherwise it would have been a long walk out to get help. (Deactivated logging roads cannot the negotiated clutchless).

I often head well off the beaten path, but that said, I still don't weigh my westy down with a metric tonne of spare parts, and I don't go around replacing functional parts before a long or rough trip. Good PM should keep you (mostly) in the clear. However, what parts and tools you *do* bring with you should reflect where you will be driving. And if you go really remote, it's always a good idea to travel with another vehicle (or two).

Have a great trip!

T.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada 49deg 23'N-123deg 19'W

'82 Westfalia 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |_L| |__|:| clatter SPEED KILLS! {. .| clatter! Drive a Vanagon diesel ~-()-==----()-~