Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:16:09 +0100
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Custom Scoop Update - Should you care!

Mathew,

Whilst some of your reasoning makes a little sense, what doesn't is the term 'laminar flow ducts'. Theres nothing specific about the boundary layer at the back of a vanagon that would entice an aerodynamicist to use that term.

What these 'flush' vents might be called are just that - flush vents or maybe - at a push - NACA flush intakes, although they're not exactly designed as a true NACA slotted intakes.

I think what you're trying to point out is this: if the flow rate drawn off by the sink (the induction system) can't handle the flow rate into the Mark's scoop then there will be spillage, which in itself will increase drag.

However, > Maybe I've missed out by being off list. which was a few messages a month or so ago, where Mark was advocating these for enhacing the flow through either an oil cooler or an turbo intercooler positioned down where the duct shaft exhausts. Provided the other side of the cooling matrix is in a relatively low pressure region, they could indeed provide a good flow rate, as a cooler could pass more air than an engine intake (unless we're talking a RR Merlin at full chat).

If other sources refer to flush inlets as laminar flow ducts, I'd be pleased to know the source, as the relevance of what at the back (and even less so the front) of a 15 ft object travelling at 60mph is a thin boundary is pretty irrelevant. Boundary layer state and overall flow attachment/separation, although interrelated, are quite different things - a turbulent boundary layer for instance does not imply separated flow, and can actually prevent it (e.g. the well-known golf ball dimpling example). Additionally, flow rate into and through a duct as large as the vanagons at the speeds its likely to be going, would if anything be greater for a trubulent b.l., following on from the golf-ball reasoning - it wouldn't separate as easily around the bends (which create adverse pressure gradients on their inside radius).

Hope this helps, not that I am a fan of scoops; maybe Mark should make it clear again that they were designed for an oil/intercooler installation and that any dynamic pressure head gain for an inlet system, however well designed, is negligible until about 120 mph (about 1%).

Clive '88 Syncro Transporter

----- Original Message ----- From: "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 3:27 AM Subject: Re: Custom Scoop Update - Should you care!