Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Aug 2002 20:38:37 -0500
From:         Tim Marciniak <tmarciniak@WI.RR.COM>
Subject:      Losing valve lash just after adjustment-why?

Just did a compression test and two cylinders were low @ 100 and 106. Heads done about 20,000 miles ago by a VW mechanic (not dealer). Van has ran pretty well since them but lately I have developed a lumpy idle and low manifold vacuum (10-12). I researched everything I could find on the age old valve lifter issue including a call to Bob at Boston Engine were I purchased my heads from. Followed his instructions and adjusted the valves to .006 inch valve lash. I adjusted both intake and exhaust when engine cold. Just to be really thorough I rechecked them almost immediately after I adjusted them (did not rotate the crank yet) and I swear I was back to zero clearance so I readjusted again but did not recheck again cause i wanted to finish and the mosquitos were really bad last nite. I also checked all the valves for clearance before I adjusted and I could not get a .006 inch feeler gauge in on any of them--I am suspected my mechanic may of installed these heads the old way (preloading) and I am starting to see problems now. My question is why did I lose this .006 inch clearance just moments after I made the adjustment?

I did start the engine up after adjusting all the valves and it ran pretty much the same, initially the manifold vacuum was about 14 but then dropped to 11-12 after the engine warmed up and idle was lumpy.

Could it be the lifters are doing something strange? I am running 20W-50 for the summer.

Tim --