Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Aug 2002 02:31:37 -0500
From:         Bill Bowman <BussesByTheArch18@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Update - AIRS request for Susan Dolvin...
Comments: To: "(send msge) Type2 List" <Type2@type2.com>,
          "(msge) VintageBus List" <VintageBus@type2.com>,
          Missouri Micros <Missouri_Micros@yahoogroups.com>,
          "(send msge) DBG List" <DBGinfo@onelist.com>,
          Pat Hoffman <bugvwpat@aol.com>

Hi everyone,

On Wednesday friends posted a AIRS request for anyone in the Nebraska area to "backup" Susan Dolvin if she needed assistance. Susan is touring the old Oregon trail and various pioneer landmarks as she proceeds from the coast of Oregon eastward to the BNNTA event this coming weekend. She left Oregon with an "iffy" alternator, and sure enough, after a few days it apparently stopped charging all together. She's in a well-worn '78 Westy with a dual battery system, so she gets both of her batteries charged before her driving day starts, and seems to be enjoying her drive using the power off the batteries while touring eastward. Obviously she drives during the day and turns off all accessories.

We have secured a remanufactured Bosch alternator for her here in St. Louis and will do the repairs, and an oil change to boot, after the event is over. As of 6pm Wednesday evening, she had already bought a charger in Kansas and was overnighting near Independence, MO. All seems to be going well for her, and after some sightseeing on Thursday morning at historic sites in Independence, she plans to hop onto I-70 with her fully charged batteries and cruise on over to stay with us here in St. Charles, MO. We'll welcome her with open arms, run her a hot bath and ice down the brews! Those of you attending BNNTA will get to meet this intrepid adventurer and noted Westfalia and Dormobile expert. She's quite a "gal"!

Again, so far, so good for Susan! Thanks to all of you for your concern and offers of assistance. It looks like she'll be cruising into my shop under her own power, just the way she'd like to...

Lookin' forward to seeing Susan, and some of you all very soon...

Bill Bowman NEATO & LiMBO www.BNNTA.com

p.s. If anyone coming to BNNTA has any extra alternator brackets, bolts and hardware, especially a correct alternator pulley for a '78 Type 2 Bus, could you throw it in your Bus "just in case" we need to locate any of those parts to complete her repair. I'm told she may have a Toyota, Datsun, Motorola or some other brand alternator in there, so who knows what hardware and pieces we'll need to get the correct Bosch alternator back in there. Thanks for any assistance on her behalf!