Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:39:53 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need advice on buying a shop press

In a message dated 8/29/02 10:02:44 PM, tomn@DSLEXTREME.COM writes:

<< Would the 6 ton model be inadequate for wheel bearings, suspension bushing etc.? >>

Tom,

Perhaps. Then again, maybe not. My story:

I bought the parts to rebuild a Syncro front end from a local VW guy. When I said that, with this job, I had decided to finally buy a press, he said not to bother because I could use his. He had one of those Pacific Rim jewels sitting on his bench. A couple of days later I made a futile trip to his shop with my press work in hand. I remember the parts of the press bending to various degrees as we TRIED to pop the bearing from its housing.

Not wanting to add the cost of a new press to the project, I regrouped and took the work to an old suspension shop. There, they had a monstrous overarm press which was made of cast iron and stood all of 8 feet tall. I do not know its capacity, but it did not know the meaning of the word "hesitate". The parts were pressed with certainty and with no attendant damage. At a few bucks per hole, it was worth every penny.

I may still get a press, but I won't buy one of those flimsy and nearly useless Chinese specials. I think the money is better spent to buy enough rolled steel stock to make a proper press.

George