Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:39:04 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: brake bleeding question
Comments: To: Todd Last <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>

The biggest thing that I have found to make the pedal feel more firm is to adjust the rear brakes properly. Many times the system is bled fine but you are getting mushy pedal because the rear brakes are extending out too far before the shoes hit the drum. What I do is actually have the tire off and the rear wheel jacked up. Then turn the rear drum by hand. I keep adjusting the rear brakes out until you can just start to hear/feel the brakes touching the inside of the drum a little. Then do this on the other side. You will be amazed at how high of a pedal you now have and I have never had this cause a problem. Other folks on the list recommended this method to me and it works well. Just FYI.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242