Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:08:33 -0700
From:         Chris Weddle <info@2WEDDLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Re: [Syncro] synrco trans swap into a non-syncro vanagon
Comments: To: pokey@vanagon.org, chrisp <chrisp@xmission.com>
Comments: cc: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

FYI: Locking Differential Upgrade for Non-Syncro Vanagon

Any 1984 or later 2wd Vanagon trans can fitted with the locking differential out of a 4wd Syncro. We have done lots of these, and they really do help with the traction situation. The locking diff upgrade requires a complete rebuild of the transaxle.

We sell all of the hard parts to upgrade to a locking differential for $395. This does not include the plumbing kit, which is $175. Keep in mind that this plumbing is really intended for the 4wd Van, so if you are plumbing the vacuum actuated locking diff in a 2wd Van, you will need to find a few extra pieces (vacuum reservoir and dash plate for example).

Here is some information on our rebuilt 2wd Vanagon transaxles. The prices for the locking differential upgrade would be in addition to the prices listed below:

The standard 1984+ Vanagon 4-speed transaxle ratios are 4.86 or 4.83 ring & pinion with 3.78/2.06/1.23/0.85 1st through 4th gears. If you are interested in reducing highway cruising rpm in your 4-speed trans, we offer a taller ring & pinion ratio (4.57) and/or taller 3rd and 4th gears (1.17 or 1.14 3rd gear and .82, .77, or .70 4th gear). A standard 4-speed trans, rebuilt with a 2-year unlimited mileage warranty is $1195 plus a $400 core charge. Upgrading the ring & pinion to the 4.57 ratio would be $145 extra. The taller 3rd or 4th gear ratios are $195 each.

We also offer 5-speed transaxles for Vanagons. Our standard Vanagon 5-speed transaxle ratios are 4.86 or 4.83 ring & pinion with 4.11/2.33/1.48/1.02/.82 1st through 5th gears. If you are interested in reducing highway cruising rpm, we offer a taller ring & pinion ratio (4.57) and/or taller 5th gear (.77 or .70). A standard 5-speed trans, rebuilt to our exacting standards with a 2-year unlimited mileage warranty is $1995 outright. If you would like to trade in your 4-speed transaxle as a "core", we can reduce the price of the 5-speed trans to $1695. Upgrading the ring & pinion to the 4.57 ratio would be $295 extra. The taller 5th gear ratio would be $195.

In order to install the 5-speed Vanagon trans, you will need a special front mount ($75) and, as an option, you might want to upgrade to the factory 5-speed shift linkage ($285).

I hope all of you 2wd Vanagon enthusiasts find this information useful. Happy trails!

Regards,

Chris Weddle Weddle Industries 700 Becknell Rd, Unit A Goleta, CA 93117 USA (805) 696-9665 Fax (805) 696-9667 info@2weddle.com