Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:44:34 -0400
From:         Scott Grillo <sgrillo@FLYTWA.NET>
Subject:      Re: New Vanagon owner needs some help
Comments: To: Cmpbiker@AOL.COM

Random thoughts on factory cruise (if it's aftermarket, all bets are off)

My 1990, which had 170k mi when I got it worked funny. What I found was that the pneumatic bellows would stick. If I engaged the cruise, held the set button (which causes the car to accelerate) and then 'jiggled' the throttle, it would work. Found that as engine bay warmed up, it would improve. My guess is that the bellows were stiff or gunked up.

My 'newer' 1991 works fine, but only had 76k miles on it when I purchased.

So, what am I saying? It may not be electrical, it could be pneumatic, as the system runs off of engine vacuum to make it work. The Bently has a pretty thorough troubleshooting flow chart, so I would recommend going through that. If you have any specific questions, or need pics of a working system, pmail me.

Scott

--------Original Message----- ---From: Vanagon Mailing List ---[mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf ---Of Clay Perry ---Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 11:54 PM ---To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM ---Subject: New Vanagon owner needs some help --- --- ---Howdy Folks, ---I am not new to the VW world just new to the liquid cooled ---version. I have ---had numerous Bay Windows and just sold my beautiful 78 ASI ---(sob) so that I ---could purchase my beautiful 87 MV (yeah). I have a Bentley ---book on order but ---I am heading out for a trip over the Labor Day weekend and ---could use some ---help. I have fixed a few things, FI hiccup (damn temp sensor ---II) and the High ---Beam indicator (had to use a green LED) but would like to ---make more progress. --- --- ---Vehicle is a 2wd MV Camper with manual trans, no AC. --- ---#1 My cruise control which appears factory does not work. I ---found the fuse ---under the steering column and it is good and receiving 12 ---volts with the ---ignition on. All of the wiring I could trace appears in good ---condition. Any ---ideas I can try until I have a wiring diagram? --- ---#2 More electrical. My dome light does not work with any ---door open. The ---key-in chime works so the switch appears to be good on the ---drivers side. Does ---the "ground" circuit for the "door open light on" have a ---central point of ---failure for all door switches? I need some form of light in ---the back besides ---the camper light, has anyone found a could system to mount ---closer to the ---door? --- ---#3 When I fill it up to the top with gasoline it barfs from ---the top of the ---tank, I have seen mention in the archives to some vent lines ---but could not ---get specifics. --- ---A couple of observations while I have your attention. --- ---This so called lack of power. After owning a string of 70's ---busses my opinion ---is that this thing hauls butt. I may become jaded later and ---start coveting a ---transplant but compared to a 1600 camper with a canoe on top ---its a Ferrari. --- ---What's with the clock? Is this a monument to Teutonic ---Punctuality? That spot ---begs for a tach. At least the earlier models left a hole for ---a tach, where is ---the best mounting place? --- ---I have bled the clutch according to the archives and it is ---better but not ---perfect, I figure I will keep pumping fluid through it until ---I get tired and ---see what comes of it. I figure I should do the brakes also ---so I can get fresh ---fluid through out, any suggestions on the order? Brakes ---first clutch second ---or does it matter. --- ---Clay Perry ---87 MV ---Salt Lake City ---