Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:17:00 -0400
From:         Scott Grillo <sgrillo@FLYTWA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Leak! Help!
Comments: To: Steven Dodson <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM>

My cooling fan was only coming on at high speed. (91) Thanks to Ken Wilford, tracked it down to a bad fan resistor (the one behind the left headlight.) According to Ken, not uncommon, and he usually has them in stock.

As for the leak, if it's overheating, it's possible to be forced out of somewhere. I've had problems at the outlet pipe on the right head. These were plastic on some vans, and mine had split along the seam line. Ken was kind enough to locate a used metal one (you'll need a new gasket as well)

Now on my third van one thing I learned, once it's leaking, it doesn't get better. What I found was that it's hard to find the source of the leak since the heat of the heads tend to evaporate the evidence. Also, have found that bad head gaskets may not exhibit visible puddles during warm months, but will get very bad if car sits in cold weather.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott

--------Original Message----- ---From: Vanagon Mailing List ---[mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf ---Of Steven Dodson ---Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 12:38 PM ---To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM ---Subject: Coolant Leak! Help! --- --- ---I need some advice. I live 6 miles up a mountain road, it's ---quite steep in ---some places on the way up, especially the last half mile. A ---couple days ago ---I noticed a small (6" dia) puddle of coolant under the rear ---bumper. I could ---find no wet spots on the van. I ran some errands yesterday ---afternoon (it was ---warm out) and in the evening I saw a larger puddle, same ---area but now much ---larger (6 x 18"). I checked the coolant level and it looked ---fine. I did find ---some wet spots on sheet metal, directly under the pulleys. I ---could not see a ---source. --- ---There was a thread on the cooling fan coming on at only high ---speed, which is ---what I think mine does. What was the outcome of that thread ---anyway? If the ---cooling fan is only turning on at the higher temp., could it ---be that it's ---getting a little too hot and when I drive that last half ---mile of steep road, ---it's overflowing out the rear? Or do I have a more serious ---problem here? --- ---Any experience with this issue? --- ----Steven Dodson ---Kneeland, CA ---"Inga" the 87 Syncro --- --- --- --------Original Message----- ---From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Robert Steven Fish Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 8:36 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Spare Parts List - Input

Bring the spare belts at least.

I was in the middle of nowhere with a broken alternator belt, and it could have really sucked. It is a good feeling to just grab a wrench, and a belt, and make the repair.

I also like to have some electrical stuff, wires and connectors, as well as some odd pieces of hose and bailing wire, etc. OF course basic tools too.

There are all too many times when you need your McGuyver skills on the road trips with a Vanagon, and the items that do not take up too much of your space (or explode in a hot car) you should bring along.

Basically.... whatever makes you feel better about travelling. If you are the kind who heads out for a 3000 mile adventure without even a mobile phone, then go for it! If carrying an alternator with you on the trip makes you feel good... do it.

I imagine that we all find ourselves somewhere in between these two extremes.

The important thing is to have a good trip and a good time! (and be able to forget about the Vanagon, if possible).

RSF

IMPORTANT!!! In order to reply to me, you must have the word "FISH" somewhere in the subject line of the email. Otherwise it goes directly in the trash.

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf