Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Aug 2002 16:04:16 EDT
From:         Kim Brennan <KimBrennan@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Exhausts...tuning.(was loud identity crisis)

In a message dated 8/31/02 6:28:18 AM, clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM writes:

> I'd suggest that most holes in exhausts actually reduce power. A weak > mixture is one result (hence coinnected to rough running and backfiring on > the overrun), splashy irregular shockwaves in the syetm etc. etc. Any > supposed power gains are usually psychological due to the loder noise. > It depends. My brother worked in a shop that built race engines. One thing he learned after joining that shop was how an exhaust can hinder...or help evacuating exhaust gases from the engine. This is the process of tuning the exhaust. Most consumer vehicles have an exhaust system that isn't tuned all that well (modern cars are better than older ones as emissions quality has forced manufacturers to look at all aspects of engine management). The main focus of the exhaust system in these consumer vehicles is to reduce emissions (catalytic convertor) and reduce noise (muffler). Race engines, on the other hand, don't have to worry about this (they also use different fuel, but that's a different issue). In Race engines, the length of pipe used in the exhaust system can have dramatic differences in the power output of the engine. And it isn't a matter of pure length, but the ratio of volume of gases passing through it to the length.

The wrong length pipe can cause a standing pressure wave in the exhaust system, this means that is is harder for the engine to get the burnt fuel out of the pistons, and causes a loss of power. Block your exhaust pipe and you'll see what I mean. If the exhaust can't get out, the engine won't run for very long. ON the other paw, if you have just the right length, the exhaust system acts as a partial vacuum and actually aids in removing the spent fuel from the pistons.

Why? Harmonics. You have pulses being caused by the pistons. These occur rhythmicly and as with any other rhytmic system, you can get reinforcement of the waves in a positive or negative fashion. In this case the waves are pressure points in exhaust gases. High pressure is a positive reinforcement, low pressure is a negative reinforcement.

All of this explains the large market in sports car after market exhaust systems. It isn't just about noise, but various people trying to get a little extra "free" power out of their engine, by tuning the exhaust.

Back to my original point. Depending on the size of the hole (and where it is) you will probably end up with more power because of a less restrictive path for the exhaust gases.