Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:05:41 -0500
From:         John Gladu <jgladu@BCM.TMC.EDU>
Subject:      fuel tank crossover...

I've been searching the archives for a "how-to" on replacing the crossover tube on the top of the gas tank. A message from '97 basically says 'just do it'. I understand the process - what I can't understand is how anyone with arms thicker than a spider-monkey's can get at these things.

I have the car up on stands. The front wheels have been removed. I've taken the straps off the bottom of the gas tank and it is being held up with a padded floor jack. I cannot physically reach the places where the crossover tube inserts through the grommets into the top of the tank. Not from the front - when my bicep hits the rack-and-pinion, my hand still isn't close to the crossover. Not from the left - can't fit my arm through there anywhere. Not from the right - can't reach the left side, but I might be able to reach the right side. Not from the back - arm's not long enough. Bottom and top aren't options.

Yes, I can remove the tank completely, but I don't know how I'm going to get that crossover reinstalled. Not on the left and not on the little clip screwed to the bottom of the floor.

The yellowed plastic fitting on the left side that's supposed to look like a "Y" is broken. Don't know if it was broken before I started lowering the tank or not - couldn't get an angle on it to see before lowering.

I don't want to go to all this effort just to break the replacement that I'm undoubtedly going to have to order.

Does anyone have a copy of Bentley where the photos showing which vent tubes are to be removed is worth anything? Mine is so dark that there are basically three numbers on a mostly-black square.

Suggestions? --

bcnu - Grungy (Houston, TX) '60 dddPanel '69 Bug '90 Vanagon '93 Eurovan '00 Audi A6 Avant grungy@mindless.com opinions are just that.obviously.