Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:30:42 -0700
From:         Nolan Hester <waywest@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: dogs to alaska?

Hi Andy,

We and our dog lived in Alaska for three years (three _winters_ is how you count them there) and dogs are a mixed bag there.

Two critter issues: bears and moose.

While you're out hiking, dogs have a fondness for catching the bears' scent, running out after them and then high-tailing it back to _you_ with the bear in pursuit. Since bears are pretty much everywhere in Alaska (even popular day hike areas), we hiked with a leash that we hooked to our hip pack to at keep our hands free. That kept the dog from heading out and rousting up a bear in the brush. In general, you'll never see a bear because they hear\smell you coming and don't want anything to do with you.

While van camping, keep the dogs inside the van with you at night. (And at Denali you'll also be asked to keep the pop-top down at night to reduce the _rare_ chance of a bear reaching through the canvas.)

As for moose, if you crowd them on a trail they can kick a dog (and you) to death. If you keep a respectful distance (say, 50-100'--more if there's a calf and mom), you'll have no problems. But do keep an eye out for moose while driving at night--especially on the road from Anchorage south to Seward\Homer. Every year several _hundred_ moose get hit by cars--and you do not want to even think about the damage a moose does to a Westy.

Something else to remember: Dogs are not allowed in any of the national parks (except on leash in the campground). That rules out day hikes in places like Denali, where the dog-less can ride a bus into the park and hop off anywhere along the road for a trailless day hike. If you're willing to deal with those incoveniences and use the leash, then take those pups: They'll be as thrilled with those scents of the wild as much as you are by the sights.

Nolan 87 Westy "Hanz" (now sporting real cup holders and a precision chopped closet door)

============ Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:41:04 EDT From: Andy Zappe <Zapvw@AOL.COM> Subject: dogs to alaska?

anyone have input on whether to take the dogs to ak? two labs, just didn't know if i would be asking for trouble while camping, ie, other animals coming around, etc.

andy 80 vanagon L 85 westy