Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 3 Sep 2002 19:08:49 -0700
From:   Larry Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:   Front AC installation INQUIRY REPORT > CONCLUSIONS
Comments:   To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com, vanagon@yahoogroups.com, "wetwesties@yahoogroups." <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>
Comments:   cc: vwsyncroguy@yahoo.com, jerrywest_@msn.com

Folks,

Called "European Cooler Air" / Jerry West to ask several follow up questions after receiving an email quote for Front AC Install on a 1990 Westy Syncro.

QUOTE:

$650.00 PARTS OR KIT COST (Do It Yourself Kit)

ADDITIONAL CHARGES FOR IN HOUSE INSTALLATION:

$ 25.00 FREON $ 43.86 TAX $ 300.00 LABOR

$1018.86 SUB TOTAL

Also Jerry recommended replacing the existing 8 Cubic In Compressor with a 10 Cubic In unit.

$250.00 10ci COMPRESSOR

$1268.86 TOTAL

Also asked what the cost would be to rebuild the Rear AC unit at the same time.

$1800 TOTAL TO INSTALL FRONT AC & REBUILD REAR AC

QUESTIONS ASKED OF JERRY:

* Have you done many Vanagons? > 25-30 yrs VW experience ... LOTS OF Vanagons

* Engine Performance Reduction? > No additional

* Can I use the front A/C without the rear A/C...can I just use the rear ...can I use both?

> Standard setup .... new front controls will control both units. Original fan speed switch still controls rear fan. This allows you to run Front Only or Both ... But not just Rear. > Just rear could be done, but that would be more complicated.

* How this integrates with the rear A/C - do they both use the same controls, etc. > New controls / Same Compressor .... see above

* Same vents or new? > Front AC uses existing fresh air left & right vents. > Can also have middle directional (left & right) vent that fits in ash tray location.

* Freon, R-134, r-12 or what? Is it possible to use his kit and stay with the standard R-12? > He normally uses and recommends Freeze 12, but the system can use R-12.

* Appearance, what shows ,are the vents BI-directional? > Nothing shows except ash tray vent if requested. > Everything is behind the dash > Vents are bi-directional.

* Do you lose the ash tray. > Yes if third vent desired.

* Photos of what the installed system looks like? > No photos, nothing to see.

* Can the Kit be installed by a "Talented" Do it Yourselfer and the system then charged and leak tested by a local AC shop. > Yes ... comes with a picture to help install.

* Can a Front AC be installed in a Vanagon with No AC? > Yes, but the rear area would be hot and it's not recommended. > Unless a single cab etc

* Is a Group Discount a possibility > Would have to order 10 or more units. > Didn't ask price.

COMMENTS:

Was really impressed with Jerry .... very knowledgeable and forthcoming. Instilled a lot of confidence that things would be done right. Does 90% of the work himself.

SUMMARY COMMENTS from previous postings :

The European Cooler Air solution appears very viable utilizing the space above the glove box under the dash. No cutting of the existing heater / fan assembly. They tap into the two fresh air vents coming from the heater box that can be oriented to blow in you face. The footwell will not be altered, but noting is stooping you from adding other ducts. They also provide a middle vent to utilize the hole where the ashtray plugs the dash above the radio.

Advantages of his unit (reportedly) are.....

1. 16,000BTU vs 12,000BTU output 2. Smaller evaporator allows installation without removing the dashboard (which is a MAJOR pain). 3. Smaller evaporator allows installation without losing half your glovebox. 4. Custom center vent mounts on top of the dashboard instead of in the radio hole in your dashboard like the Behr kit, so you get to keep your radio in its normal location.

Thanks to Warren Chapman for additional postings and information.

CONCLUSION:

I have decided to have Jerry install the front AC and rebuild the rear AC on my soon to be new/old 90 Westy Syncro.

Current timeline is around the first week of November.

Will file a report on performance after the install.

To contact European Cooler Air:

http://www.europeancoolerair.com jwest@europeancoolerair.com Phone: Jerry West at 972-771-3791 Location: 2671 East FM 552 . Rockwall, Texas 75087

Happy Trails,

Larry Chase 85 Westy "RoadHaus" 90 Westy Syncro ... Soon Mesa, AZ