Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:04:36 -0700
From:         Ray Reinhard <rayreinhard@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Projektzwo foglight spares.....what if you break your $300
              foglites?

I, too, have a set of the P'zwo fogs on my van and have been very pleased with them. They look cool and improve visibility greatly. Unfortunately, one of mine took a direct hit from a rock which cracked the lens. I got a replacement lens assembly from Ken Wilfy (Van-Again) -- he also suggested the 3M protective film, which I obtained from the following:

http://www.chasetechno.com/

It's also possible to get replacement parts from the "official" US distributor of P'zwo products, 1552 Design:

http://www.1552design.com/

Ray

At 11:58 AM 8/31/2002 +0100, you wrote: >Hi Kenneth, > >Thanks for your reply, and thank you for posting it to the list. > >I can understand why you might not wish to drill or cut your Vanagon's body >panels. If you lack the necessary skills for body work, rust treatment and >finishing, any drilling or cutting will only increase the risk of rust >taking hold. > >Rust is a big problem with Vanagons, unless they spend their lives in a >warm, dry climate. The factory rustproofing is elementary at best, and >consists of penny-pinching amounts of wax deposited in only some of the box >members that make up the Vanagon's structure. > >My '84 Reimo conversion (based on a 1.9 WBX Transporter panel van) had its >fair share of rust for a Vanagon living in the UK, especially one living in >an area such as mine (the North Sea coast of Yorkshire) that has a cool >temperate maritime climate, with constantly changing weather in the sping, >summer and fall and copious amounts of salt on the roads in winter. > >However, I have by now thoroughly and systematically opened up, treated and >rustproofed over 60% of my Vanagon's bodywork and expect to complete the job >later this year. I regard every new drilled or cut hole not as a threat, >but as a *golden opportunity* to inspect and treat rust and to make sure >that it never recurs in that area. I am using hand and power tools to >remove rust, Kurust (phosphoric acid) to convert what little remains, and >either zinc rich primer and micaceous iron oxide paint, or the same primer >and 2-pack epoxy finish, or Waxoyl rustproofing fluid in unseen areas such >as enclosed box sections. > >Areas which cause particular problems include the body seams, where rust >attacks from the inside outwards. Seam rust CANNOT be treated only from the >outside. You need to tackle *both* sides, otherwise it will simply recur, >again and again. > > From the factory, the Vanagon body got an electrophoretic dip primer over >the whole bodyshell, but the finishing paint was applied by hand. If you >closely inspect the body seams from inside, you will notice that little or >no finish was applied to the vulnerable seam edges, especially around the >main side panels, the rear wheel arches and the top of the sills. The >electrophoretic primer alone is not able to withstand 18 years in an >aggressive climate. Heck, these vans were never even designed to last that >long! > >Other areas needing attention include the enclosed sills. Access can be >gained via removable rubber plugs at the bottom of the bodysides, accessible >from the inside after trim has been removed. I have inspected mine with an >illuminated fibre optic viewer, treated the small amount of rust with Kurust >and spray injected wax to cover the whole interior of the box section. I >will inspect them again after two years and re-treat if required. > >The Vanagon has a semi-monocoque structure with a strong floorpan (not a >separate chassis) that is stiffened by box sections such as the sills, the >"chassis rails", the frame members that support the body panels and the air >ducts at the rear. All of these members are just as critical to the overall >strength and integrity of the structure as each other. They got only a >light spray of wax at the factory which appears (in the Vanagons I have >inspected) not to cover much more than half of the area needing such >treatment. Provided that rust has not taken hold, a careful and thorough >application of Waxoyl does the trick here. > >I have learnt from long experience (pre-Vanagon) that even the brightest of >bare metal produced after removing old rust and paint needs treating with >Kurust. After you use a power wire brush or other tool to obtain bright >bare metal, it takes only about 30 seconds for surface rust to begin forming >- unless you live in SoCal, of course! > >For the rest of us mere mortals, it is absolutely essential to convert this >rust before applying primer and finish, otherwise rusting will start unseen. > Rust travels rapidy. The rust occupies several times the volume of the >unrusted metal and exerts enormous force as it expands. So it can easily >open up seams, allowing further air moisture to penetrate, thereby >accelerating and propagating rust at surprising speed. So I treat ALL bare >areas with Kurust before applying primer and finish, or Waxoyl. No >exceptions! > >I hope that you can now understand why I don't fear drilling or cutting my >Vanagon's body panels, especially in areas where they open up more >opportunities to deal with rust and prevent further corrosion. > >***** > >To those list members who sent me (by private email) abusive responses to my >previous posting to the list on this subject, I am sorry that you have not >yet matured beyond the stage of young girls defending their choice of Barbie >accessories. Grow up, guys. And have the courage to make your views known >on the list, so we can all have a long and hearty laugh at your expense! > >Regards, > >Tony > >(1984 Vanagon Reimo) > > >>---------- Original Message -------------------- >> >>Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:18:33 -0400 >>From: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> >>Subject: Re: Projektzwo foglight spares.....what if you break your $300 >> foglites? >> >>This has the downside of this idea is actually having to cut and drill >>holes >>in the body of your Vanagon. If you have an old clunker, then go for it. >>I >>am trying to extend the life of my van and cobbling together some crappy >>looking, hacked up foglights isn't my idea of something good for my van. >> >>The pzwo lights require no cutting, no drilling and I have had mine >>installed for about three years now with no rock chips. If you are that >>concerned about protecting your investment, I would get some 3m clear rock >>guard which you can buy in a sheet and putting this on the lenses. Most >>rock hits would be absorbed by this material and save the glass. However >>if >>you run around ramming into boulders then nothing short a lens fashioned >>from a large diamond is going to help you (have a great Friday!) >> >> >> >>-----Original Message----- >>From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf >>Of Anthony Polson >>Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 5:38 PM >>To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>Subject: Re: Projektzwo foglight spares.....what if you break your $300 >>foglites? >> >> >>I think it's about time y'all decided on "ProjektNEIN"! >> >>Instead, buy a South African lower grill, which is full width, cut two >>rectangular holes and fit the rectangular foglights of your choice. No >>spares hassles. >> >>Regards, >> >>Tony >> >>(1984 Vanagon, Reimo Alaska conversion) > > >_________________________________________________________________ >MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: >http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

Ray Reinhard '86 TiiCo Westy Camper GL