Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:59:50 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: On 2.1L is TDC the U groove on pulley?
Comments: To: tmarciniak@WI.RR.COM

Tim, if you look at the Bentley closely you will see that instructions that require you to unplug the TempII Sensor also require you to have a special VW tool. Do you have this tool? I sure don't. So then the way we are going to want to time the van is to put a paint mark on the "V" mark on the pulley. Let the engine warm up until the radiator fan comes on one time. Now (don't unplug anything or rev the engine, let the car idle) use your timing light and set the timing. I usually set mine with the mark a couple of degrees to the left of the case halfs (seems to run a little better there). Then you should be good to go. If you try to time it with the Temp II unplugged then you will find that the van won't start when cold (yikes!). Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242