Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:30:04 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      VW Dealer Mechanic for a day (a little long)

Well it had to happen sometime. Our local VW dealership got in a '91 Vanagon to do a clutch replacement. The mechanic who got this job was affectionately known as "Hack" by his fellow mechs. He decided the easiest way to replace the clutch was to pull the engine (of course, that pesky transmission is such a pain). He found that the head gaskets were leaking when he pulled the motor and so he replaced these as well. Then he promptly quit/was fired/got hurt (I heard several different stories). Since this particular dealer did not have it's VW franchise until the middle '90s they not only did not have any mechanics that knew how to work on Vanagons, but they also didn't even have a factory manual for the van. After calling me a few times to ask, "What is the firing order for the spark plugs, etc" they finally asked me to come up to the dealership and fix the van. I was waiting on a couple of parts to finish the guy's van that is here now, and so I decided to take them up on thier generous offer (if I told you how much they agreed to pay me from the time I left my house until the time I returned home (45 mins each way) you would agree that it was generous). They were at the end of thier rope with this Vanagon and could not get it to run.

I went up yesterday and I found a van engine that was just thrown in without being properly installed. I went around connecting everything in the proper manner. Hooked up the grounding wires for the engine harness on the motor, and plugged up the oil filler tube with a rag temporarily(plastic part was MIA). The van started right up and after timing it, it ran pretty good. There is some lifter clatter, but this may go away with time. They were happy with my work, and I got to be a "Certifiable VW Mechanic" for a day. Everyone in the shop thought I was crazy. They only like to work on the newer VWs that have computers that spit out error codes. They had a really cool engine code machine that is basically a small Tablet computer with touchscreen (about the size of a notebook screen but a little thicker). It is running some version of Windows, and VWs own Vag-Com software. It was cool, I want one!

The guy next to me was getting a brand new Golf ready to sell. I noticed he was letting air out of the tires. I asked about it and he said that they come on the boat with 45psi in the tires, but they are only supposed to have around 35psi normally so they have to let the air out. I tried to catch some for those folks who have to have "Factory VW Air" for thier tires but didn't have a suitable container:-)

I also noticed the cool solar panels that come with all of the new VWs. Someone has posted about them before. They are a small panel about 12"x12" square. They attach to the front window by four suction cups and have a wire that terminates in a plug for the cigarette lighter. Apparently VW was having problems with the batteries in the cars dying in shipping. They found that these panels were cheaper than buying new batteries. I asked the service manager about the panels out of curiosity and his reply was "How many do you want?" Apparantly many of the car buyers don't care if they get these panels or not (they are supposed to come with new VWs). So if the customer doesn't want it, these folks keep them. He gave me one last night and it is cool. I am going to put it in my camper to keep the battery up when I am not using it and also when we are camping. You can buy these from the dealer for around $68 or if you are friendly with your dealer you might just ask about them the next time you are there (they may have a stack cluttering up thier office). Just thought I would share.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242