Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:28:44 -0400
From:         Johnson City Alliance Church <art@CMACHURCH.ORG>
Subject:      Alternator mounting

I had to have a rebuilt engine put into my 84 Westy a couple of years ago. When the repair shopt in Atlanta did the work, they didn't do something right when they put the alternator on. As a result, within just a few months my alternator was flopping around and held in place by only one bolt. That bolt hold eventually stripped out and I had to drill it out and put in a helicoil with another bolt. Some months later the helicoil wouldn't hold anymore. It's been a battle ever since. I've had two mechanics try to do something to it to no avail. And I've worked so much on it that I'm getting a little sick of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might hold down that little appliance so necessary to my electrical system? I noticed that there's a threaded hole in the top of the engine that I've been trying to figure out how to use (a little bit underneath the alternator). But so far, I haven't figured this out. Anyone else have a problem keeping that Alternator tight? There's so much vibration back there it's a wonder the whole thing doesn't just fall off.

Art Joyce --

Visit our site at http://CMAchurch.org

"Before you can help make the world right, you must be made right within" --John Miller