Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:07:03 -0500
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW obscene parts pricing
Comments: To: freeholder@STARBAND.NET

Here is another take on the pricing issue. In the past I have worked for several dealers (no VW dealers). At one dealership we sold oil drain plug seal rings for about $0.32 each. Now think about it. How can that be possible. Here is what had to happen to get the seal rings to the customers.

A weekly computer report had to be generated to indicate which parts we were low on (of course the computer didn't know this on it's own - someone had to figure out what our inventory level should be and enter that into the computer). The report would be reviewed to make sure that everything made sense. This was necessary because occasional irregular patterns in demand would tell us to order absurd amounts of some items. Our orders then had to be manually entered into the ordering computer.

Once the manufacturer received our order someone had to print labels then go to pick the parts. He or she would count out the seal rings one, two, three, four,... and put them into a plastic bag. The plastic bag would then be labeled and sealed and put with the rest of our order. At packing time someone had to make sure that all of our little bags and boxes of stuff were there. Our order than had to be shipped to us (another expense). When that order arrived, all of the parts would be checked into inventory on the computer (after we counted them) and put into their bins on the parts shelf. Finally, a counter person would have to look up a part number, retrieve the part and print a customer receipt when someone purchased a seal ring.

Now how can you do that for $0.32?

On the other hand there are larger, more complicated parts that must be made in batches large enough to make the manufacturing economical. Once these components are made there is a very good chance that they will sit on shelves for YEARS before they are needed. Whenever I buy any sort of large cast part I always look for the casting marks. The casting marks usually indicate when that individual part was manufactured. You would be amazed how long some parts sit around. They sit not because a company can't manage its inventory, but it wouldn't be economical to produce these parts in smaller batches.

Why is this important? Someone has to pay for all the warehouse space that part is taking up. The manufacturer usually has to pay their supplier for the part when it is delivered to the manufacturer (or thereabouts). The manufacturers have a lot of money tied up in these parts so part of the price you pay is sort of a finance charge.

Finally, you have to consider the time of the dealership parts counter man or woman. Dealership parts people are always getting calls about this part or that part. A very high percentage of these calls are from people that have no intention of ever buying that part from the dealer. None the less, the parts person graciously looks up information and shares it with the customer. Why? Because they never know who will come in and buy the parts. You have to be polite to everyone. As I said, parts counter people spend a shocking amount of time helping people who will never buy a part from them. The counter people still have to be paid their salary. This drives up the prices for those of us who do buy things from the dealer.

I try to save money when I shop, but I also like to support local businesses. If I have questions or need help when I am buying a part I am going to buy it from the person who is best able to answer my questions and help me, even if his price is a couple of bucks higher. Why do I do this? Because if I don't, he may not be around next week. Where will that leave me?

Bill (below) is right. It isn't a crime to make money.

This is just my $0.02.