Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Sep 2002 16:33:39 -0700
From:         Jim Ellis <ellisjames@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: buying a westy out of state, how do I drive it home legally?
Comments: cc: VW_VINTAGE_list <vintagebus@type2.com>

A topic from the Vanagon list was a good reason to cross-point to the Vintage list... It has been a while since I posted a good VanBondo story.

Re: Proper registration or sneaking a vehicle home following a purchase.

Executive Summary: Ellis says do it right if the tires are on the road. Trailering it home or use of a commercial shipper is another story...

Simon's advice may be OK but here is what I recently did...

Recently sold my '67 Westfalia to an un-named customer in the Northeastern portion of the USA. He flew into Phoenix on SW Airlines' cheap fares, did business with me the following day and then drove it home~ cross continent.

Specifics: Both parties anticipated a quick inspect and getting the buyer on the road early on Friday. The buyer needed to be at work on Monday. I had my hiden doubts and did not envy the drive ahead but we embarked on a deal in earnest. A pulling front right brake delayed commercial comusmation. Several adjustments were made in the Phoenix Arizona August full-sun light. Major sweating and muted fretting with a "several" dollar deal balancing on a knifes' blade. I'll spare the details but it took ALL day long.

We negotiated the Title change and re-registration at the Arizona State Department of Motor Vehicles. We were the LAST persons to get a numbered ticket for service. We had arrived at 4:32 according to the walk clock and 4:28 according to my wrist watch. We had to beg and promise roses to the guera ("wetta"- white girl) at the window.

It was easy, everyone was totally legal and officially documented. Cost of transfer of title in AZ was, until recently, $12 and is still in that neighborhood. A real metal license plate with proper registration papers was about $17.00. =) Both the customer and I had our rights ensured, responsibilities covered and liabilities limited. It was cheap insurange and a darned good thing that we did it right...

The buyer and I parted ways at 7:30 that evening. It was all I could think that someone had a heck of drive ahead of them. I went home and slept. The Westfalia and her new owner drove through the night and made it to the Texas/NM border by Saturday morning. A quick phone call from the road confirmed that it performed as promised and the customer was still lacking buyer's remorse. Martha Stewart calls that, "A good thing".

On the way home, the buyer encountered a drenching rain resembling bovine urination on a flat rock under an Amazon waterfall. The question about Safaris leaking was confirmed in ways that were not possible in the Arizona desert in draught conditions. The decision was quickly made to exit the highway to find a safe spot to wait it out. Westy and owner planned and exited at the next obvious offramp. This ramp happened to be just prior to a Missouri State Drug Enforcement Task Force road block. At the last minute he slowed, hesitated and took the offramp. As he suspected, he no sooner hit the ramp and several vehicles with dogs, auto weapons, barking orders and decended upon himself and the recent acquisition. According to his tale, he was treated to a full felony stop, drop, rock'n'roll in a drenching rain storm. Dogs, Swat uniforms, yelling, flashing lights and the whole Quentin Tarintino ten yards. He said that his heart about came up through his throat as the team came up with several smallish plastic bags. The buyer didn't know me past a point and for a second thought that perhaps I had left him a "house warming present". To everyone's relief the five bags contained the jalousie window outer dust seals. I never took the time to install them but thought that they should go with the bus. Whew! <buyer wiping sweat and rain from forehead.>

The proper registration, metal plate, NOT CARRYING ANYTHING illegal and possession of a valid insurance binder policy underscored his innocence and encouraged Office Opie to let him go.

Cut the silliness and step up to doing business in a responisbile manner and breathe easier. Just my two cents... Jim Ellis Phoenix, AZ