Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:38:07 -0500
From:         Jeremy Speer <jspeer@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Refrigerator Part Question

Folks,

I'm wondering if some smart person out there can help me find a new piezo sparker assembly for the standard issue vanagon refrigerator.

I managed to sever the sparker wire right where it enters the firebox. The actual spark-maker up at the air pump is still fine... if i could buy just the sparker end and wire that would be great... but i'll buy whatever i have to to get it back working on propane.

How did i manage such feat?

Well, while we were on our Copper Harbor trip, my wife noticed steam coming from behind the fridge when i'd run water from the tank.

"That's not good," i said.

Now that we're home and its a long weekend, i figured i'd pull the refrigerator, clean it all out, and find out where the steam was coming from.

So, getting it out was no problem. It turns out there had been substantial body work where the exterior connections for water and electricity come through the body of the vehicle. The body shop had completely failed to reconnect the city water pipe that runs directly to the faucet. How fortunate for me i never tried the connection with a hose.

The plastic pipe had fallen down diagonally and melted to the firebox of the fridge. Whenever i ran water, some water must have trickled down the city water connection and landed right on the firebox.

Ok, since i never planned on using the city water connection, i went to the hardware store and bought two brass caps and closed off both ends.

I cleaned 13 years of crud from the fridge coils, repacked the fiberglass insulation, cleaned out everything i could find that was dirty... and proceeded to reinstall the fridge.

I don't know how i did it, but during reinstallation i TOTALLY destroyed the piezo wire. Upon closer inspection it seems the insulation and wire had become very brittle. It was probably close to some sort of failure anyway.

So, i've got the fridge out... i'm hoping this part exists somewhere, and costs less than a billion dollars.

Thanks,

-jspeer '89 Westy GL, "Mystery Machine"