Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Sep 2002 01:41:47 +0100
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW obscene parts pricing
Comments: To: Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>

> That's what VW does. If they can get outrageous prices for their parts, more power to them. > If you don't like it, buy elsewhere. If they have a corner on the particular part you need, > well, good for them. Now they can really hammer you. It isn't evil or even immoral. > > I am involved with our local movie theater, which is run as a non-profit company attached to a > local museum. Know what the markup on popcorn is? 3000% !!!! Good for us. I wish it sold > for more. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill N" <freeholder@STARBAND.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 8:32 PM Subject: Re: VW obscene parts pricing

Slightly different case here Bill. Popcorn is not something you have invested in, necessarily need, and that might have further contractual implications after its sale (other than it shouldn't actually kill you within minutes!).

A vehicle is something in another category. You should be able to see that the implied contract is something that extends a little further by the fact that manufacturers will implement a safety fix or service item years after that vehicle has run its 'simple' warranty. That I extend this implied understanding to encompass 'the ability to supply parts' for at least 20 years then I'm sure you might agree this would at least be arguable in court should the company still be solvent - and depending on legislature, maybe even winnable.

Well, just extend this to that same argument, and put to the judge that by charging (for the absurd case) $1,000,000 for a vital but tuppennyha'penny part that couldn't be obtained elsewhere, they were effectively and possibly unilaterally withdrawing from this tacit commitment.

All I'm saying is where is the $m mark, where is the line to be drawn - anywhere? For me, £68, nearly $100, for an 18" x 1.5" thin wall mild steel tube with a couple of kinks in it is getting near the mark, especially as even at that price I doubt if one is still on its way to me after 5 weeks. And we're not talking Syncro 16 here, they made 30,000 odd of these things.

If they had loads and wanted $500 for one, then would that be tantamount to blackmail - or is it understandable that they have either not planned to supply this rare component at all or simply run its stock level down through the years?

Maybe I should be charitable and accept my conjectures above and that this is human nature, but I still think there is somewhere a line to be drawn - and VW do rather give a lot of folk who work hard to support their older vehicles (and thus wave the flag for them, giving them that maybe unjustified reputation they have for 'going on forever') a bit of a hard time. Presumably they do not want to meet anything but their minimum of obligations parts-wise, otherwise such a massive aftermarket parts business would not have evolved around them.

If no-one can think of a manufacturer that has a pro-active pricing policy, which encourages safe, correct maintenance using fully warranted dealer parts for an extended life, then my case is lost!

Some of the Japanese? Ford?

Clive '88 Syncro Transporter (Gold Edition)