Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Sep 2002 21:35:21 -0400
From:         Justin Mayrand <jmayrand@ACORNWORLD.NET>
Subject:      Fridge Fan Questions

Well, after a great week long stay in the SuperVan, I have noted 2 things about the 'fridge fan:

1) it is really loud 2) it runs all the time

Now, to me, an incurable tinkerer, I figure that it is time to fix the fan and/or replace it. So, I pulled the 'fridge and replaced the old stock fan with two 80cm box fans wired to the thermal switch. These move way more air than the stock fan and are much quieter.

I solved one problem (the noise), but not the other (still runs all the time). Now, if I understand correctly, the thermal switch turns on at 140F, and off at 125F. My new fans are blowing cool air from behind the 'fridge, so why are they still running? I removed the little cabinet side grille and reached in to touch the fins (careful of the exhaust pipe) and lo and behold, the fins are cool *except* the one the switch is on - it is still very hot. It appears that the orientation of the finds on the back of the 'fridge (there are 3 sets) causes the air to "lean" to the right (towards the sink when the unit is installed) and the switch is on the left.

So from all of that, I have two questions:

1) do they al run all the time? 2) has anyone come up with a solution (which I will do soon)?

Thanks, and this is the friendliest list I am on. ...JMM

-- This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.