Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:46:02 +0200
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: not much humor in viruses some info
Comments: To: Tracy Bonin <icculus22420@YAHOO.COM>

It is true.. Klez is a nasty little #$%@

These newer ones do a fantastic job of masquarading as someone other than the real person whos machine is really sending the virus out.

However, one must realize that there are very few viruses which will execute on your machine without the user actually double clicking on an attached file, and opening it.

If you receive attachments, and they are not from a known source, you have to delete them... no curiosity allowed here!!!

If they are from a known source... be careful!! It may be just a random email address was used from another machine, and tossed in to the "from" line.

Always check the file type extension on all files you open from email and the web.... be absolutely certain that your machine is not set to "hide file type extensions for common file types". This setting can cause you to believe that a file is a .jpg when it is really a .jpg.scr or some other nasty type.

You will not receive a virus from the list, as all attachments are stripped off, and the HTML mail is converted to plain text.

Standard off-the-shelf anti virus software and a bit of common sense will keep you out of trouble.

Happy computing!

RSF

IMPORTANT!!! In order to reply to me, you must have the word "FISH" somewhere in the subject line of the email. Otherwise it goes directly in the trash.

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tracy Bonin" <icculus22420@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 8:56 PM Subject: Re: not much humor in viruses some info