Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Sep 2002 17:16:56 -0700
From:         dave bowers <dave@SPARKPLUG.COM>
Subject:      reverse light wire (color?)

Hey Folks,

I would like to tap into my reverse light wire in the back of my van, and use it as a power source (temporarily) for my back up light. I've been able to mount my light to my bumper, and ground it properly ... now all I need is power. I'm going to run it off the reverse light circuit until I can get a proper switch for the dash, and the time to wire it.

When I popped my tail light lenses off, I found all the wires leading to then tail lights are grouped in one harness with no clear way to identify which wire is for which light bulb.

Here's what I found leading into white plastic harness wire holder (which then plugs into tail light)

1. black wire with white stripe

2. black wire with blue stripe

3. 2 Black wire with red stripe

4. Light brown & darn brown wires (no stripes that I could see)

5. Brown wire with black stripe & grey wire with black stripe

Is there a chance the Vanagon Bentley manual describes which of these wires is for the reverse light? Sadly, I don't own the manual yet. I will soon. If anyone can help me identify the reverse light wire, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks much!

dave bowers Portland, Oregon 1986 Westy "HMS Beagle" http://www.dave-bowers.com/vw