Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Sep 2002 00:24:08 -0700
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@HIGHSPEEDPLUS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Turbo question Water Jacket Seal failure
Comments: To: Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@yahoo.com>

Damon,

I may be telling you more than I know about this issue of exhaust pulse on a boxer engine vs a inline 4 cycl. but, according to the Subaru articles on turboing their boxer engine with cylinders on either side of the box, the firing order of the engine means that some cylinder exhaust pulse have further to travel before reaching the turbo, in fact I think one cylinder exhaust tube was lengthened a bit and then it showed up at the turbo after next in sequence cylinder's pulse that closer to the turbo.

Obviously this is fine tuning, but the information is out there; this is why I was referring to the location of the turbo unit, so that the pulse impact on the impeller is at consistent intervals.. It appeared that the issue was that the length of pipe to travel from the cylinder to the turbo, and firing order were variables to locating the turbo. Probably because greater distance of the boxer engines exhaust that the Inline engines. Whatever, the issue, research some on turbo subaru 2.5 WRX tricks, I've lost the URL, but an English chap, did a article on the motor and dyno work needed to raise output and efficiency of the 2.5 liter Subaru. I'm just suggesting your peruse this information to factor into you location of the unit.

I think the use of an automatic transmission would be the optimum for several reasons: built in stall convertor to 2800 RPMs; allow engine to rev/spool up the turbo faster, durability on a high output engine, easier to hurry the car along in traffic and such, and less shock loading on the system.

The other issue of knock control. I researched a few of the after market fuel injection systems and feel the one made by TEC II is a pretty good aftermaket fuel injection application for the waterboxer. The sell it modular, and offer a knock sensor and variable ignition timing module. I had considered it as a replacement for my system at one time, and would recommend you consider it. On the other hand, David Marshall on the vanagon list reported being able to offer a variable timing unit using a modified Rabbit control and some other pieces, but hedged a bit on if would work without some additional debugging. So I'd look at those two possibilities.

On the heat issue, the ceramic coating does resist heat transfer , and by keeping the energy in the gas stream instead of sending it into the cooling loop via the piston and cylinder head. If it stays out of the piston, then the piston can not transfer it to the cylinder wall and thus the cooling system. To the degree this works I can not give a specific reduction in percent, but it is the route to go. In particular you can pick up several other good thermal strategies from the Subaru sites, since they face the same issues.

Have you located pistons to lower the compression ration? ? Also the use of Pauter rocker with a modified lift ratio would be another consideration for better gas flow, in fact it might be necessary. Just search the archives under Pauter or Ratio Rockers.

Out of curiosity have you look at supercharging as well?

Sincerely,

Mark Keller