Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Sep 2002 08:00:41 -0700
From:         Sam Scholten <undergroundboy01@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW obscene parts pricing
Comments: To: Leon Korkin <korkwood@WSHOST.NET>

Remember that corporate profits are not and end in itself; it is a means to another end: stock prices. In addition, CEOs are not judge, jury, and executioner like they appear to be-- they answer to the trustees and investors, the folks who REALLY control everything. Around them the world turns, consequences to the little guy be damned. CEOs can be fired just as the mailroom guy can.

Also, remember this: VW is a cult brand here in the U.S. and Canada. However, any time I read a news item about Europe's economy or Holocaust reparations (my girlfriend is descended from a Holocaust survivor), VW AG is always mentioned as one of Germany's biggest corporations, a behemoth much like GM or Ford is here or Toyota is in Japan. What's worse: much like Toyota, VW seems to be "lean manufacturing," keeping inventories just short enough to still be legal while keeping the prices high. Case in point: new Jetta TDIs. Ever been to a dealer and asked for one? Or, what about the part that you waited a month for and used your second motgage to pay for?

That's just when they play it straight. When deals get dirty, it goes to a whole new level.

This is why we deal with what we deal with. The more you look into something like this, the more screwed you realize you are. It makes me want to just walk everywhere I go, until I remember that the shoe industry is an even bigger racket. Prison and sweat-shop labor? Don't even go there.

Sorry for the bandwidth.

Sam

--- Leon Korkin <korkwood@WSHOST.NET> wrote: > Just can't help it. > Nothing wrong? Then there is nothing wrong with > Enron, Worldcom and whole lot > of other companys. They are "just capitalists"? > Swallow all your competition, > create monopoly, then raise prices to pay loans and > make huge profits for "Royals". > Thanks to those "capitalists" millions of people > lost their retirements. > Never seen a single Vanagon at junkyard with body > damage. > Owners just got sick and tired of wasting lots of > hard-earned money buying > parts at obscene prices and gave it away. > Ever wander why there are still so many buses on the > road? > Drivers don't buy parts from dealers, that's why. > Leon > > > 9/5/02 11:18:47 AM, John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET> > wrote: > > >> My point is that they are victims too of the > >>obscene salaries that executive "Royals" demand > for showing up for work. > >>The paychecks of these Royals inflate the price of > parts for cars that > >>were built years before the executive entered the > car business. > > > >Now, wait a minute. Didn't we just get a lecture on > capitalism explaining > >that that no matter what, always sell your product > for as much as up can > >possibly get, and that there is nothing obscene, or > immoral about doing > >so?? Those executives are just capitalists who are > selling themselves for > >as much as they can possibly get away with. Leave > them alone and let them > >have whatever they can get. > > > >After all, that is why a small cup of popcorn costs > $4.50 at the movies, > >so those that sell it can get insanely rich, while > those who have not the > >money, may not enjoy the product. If you want to > have a vanagon, you must > >play the system and make them rich. > > > >Its just capitalism at its best. Nothing wrong with > that. > > > >John > > > >