Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:21:13 EDT
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sad News: MSDS is no longer offering the Porsche engine swaps
Comments: To: vwsyncroguy@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 9/6/02 5:02:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time, vwsyncroguy@YAHOO.COM writes:

<< Big problem....small demand for all that HP.....>>

I don't think the goal was ever to mass produce the kits. MSDS core business is making fast Porsches go faster. Marty like Vanagons. He married his two hobbies into one and offered others the chance to join in his dream -- for a small fee.;)

<< Another problem......a 230HP (easily tweaked for more) 3.3L Subaru SVX, can be bought for $1700-$2500. Equivalent Porsche motor will cost 3 to 5 times that. You can likely have Smallcar.com do the whole conversion with the 3.3L for just the cost of buying the Porsche engine. >>

There is a reason many people drive Porsches and SVX's. Most people when told of a Subaru engine conversion will say, "hmmm.. that's nice." Why do you think all those loaf van owners advertise their Type 4 powered vans as "Porsche powered"? The first thing most folks will say if you tell them that you have a Porsche engine in back is "WOW! Cool! This thing must be Faaast." Heck I have a 911 engine sitting in my passenger compartment. I got the same reaction when I told people that I "have a Porsche engine in the back". Then I have to explain that it is cargo and not a working powerplant.

As for cost, it is only a question of convenience. There are more Subarus than Porsches. Hence the relative difference in component prices. I just bought a good 2.4 911 engine complete with a 915 transmission for $500. Last month I got a 2.2 for free as a bonus on another Porsche deal. Last week there was a 3.0 with a trans on another listed for $3900. In the same week, I found an SVX for sale for $4K. My point is you can buy Porsche components @ Subaru prices. You just have to wrk harder at getting the right deal. Anybody can go to a Porsche wrecking yard and buy a 3.6 liter engine and G-50 trans for $18K. just as easily as another fellow can go to the Subaru dealer and pay a similar amount for similar Subaru parts.

Oh well, I'm quite satisfied with my WBX anyway. So who am I to say. :)

BenT think designer jeans. not sears canyon river blues. hey i can buy a pair of crb jeans for the price of hemming up my calvins.