Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Sep 2002 01:49:36 -0400
From:         Warren Chapman <vwsyncroguy@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front A/C Installation - Aftermarket

I just completed installing a Behr unit that was salvaged from an 84 Vanagon. Behr made a kit that was an "after purchase" dealer install in pre-86 Vanagons.

While all the hoses were being hooked up by a local AC specialty shop, I also heard about European Cooler Air and spoke at some length with the owner, Jerry, on the phone. If I had heard about his unit before going so far with my installation, I would have gone with his system instead of what I have. I have not yet seen (or felt) one of his units installed in a Vanagon, but it sure sounds better than the older Behr units.

Advantages of his unit (reportedly) are.....

1. 16,000BTU vs 12,000BTU output 2. Smaller evaporator allows installation without removing the dashboard (which is a MAJOR pain). 3. Smaller evaporator allows installation without losing half your glovebox. 4. Custom center vent mounts on top of the dashboard instead of in the radio hole in your dashboard like the Behr kit, so you get to keep your radio in its normal location.

One negative, Jerry sent me one of his center vents to use with my ducting, so I could move my radio back to the normal slot, but the louvers on the vent can only be aimed in one direction. My current vents are bi- directional, ...allowing air to blow from the center location on both the driver and the passenger. I think Jerry has more than one type...perhaps one with bi-directional vents.

My installation was a little complicated because I was also mating the new front system with the VW factory rear unit but driving the whole system with Subaru compressor (I have a Subaru conversion). I also converted the whole system to R134 refrigerant.

My system seems to work very well. The Behr unit has two large squirrel cage fans that move a lot of air. Its great to feel all that cool air coming from the front but I haven't yet been on a trip into a really hot place to give it the "acid test". I live in Coastal CA but will soon take a trip across the "Valley" to give it a real tryout.

If I was starting out new, I think I would give Jerry's unit serious consideration.

Good luck

Warren Chapman 90 Syncro Westy with Subaru 2.2L power and (now) dual AC