Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:45:17 -0600
From:         Andrew Fox <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Temp gauge reads high....
Comments: To: "Bergin, Richard" <bergin@marshall.usc.edu>

Many vanagon owners have reported erroneous readings from their temperature gauges. Several possibilites for high readings are: bad voltage regulator at back of inst cluster, bad ground somewhere, bad sensor, and finally an out of spec sensor. Apparently VW changed the specs on the coolant temp sensor and if you replace your sensor with a current one it is likely your gauge will read high! For details about this troubling observation read the archives for a post from Ben Huot on the subject.

In short the vanagon temp sensor system is piece of shit and should not be trusted except as a relative warning system that something may be wrong. The only way to find out how hot your van is really running is to use an Infrared thermometer available at radio shack for $50 which allows you to point at any object and "take its temperature". Your mechanic has probably used one of these and determined that your van is running fine. Like myself and many others you probably replaced all those overpriced parts for nothing. Maybe the rich fat cat capitalist pigs at VW planned this so people would spend lots of money buying overpriced replacement parts (just kidding).

Andrew Fox 86 Westy (may soon to be a fordfalia because of shit like this)