Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Sep 2002 16:12:07 -0700
From:         Gary Lee <gary2a@TELUSPLANET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Turbo question Water Jacket Seal failure
Comments: cc: kelphoto@HIGHSPEEDPLUS.COM

This is an interesting thread. I've kicked around the idea of turboing a WBX for a couple of years. My main reason for doing it is because it would be cheap for me to do (labor excepted) and I run my van on propane. Propane has an octane rating of about 110, you can use the stock compression ratio of 9:1 and you don't have to worry about retarding the timing or using water injection. I don't think I would want to go above 5 - 6 lbs. of boost. My propane system is good for 250 hp so I don't have to worry about supplemental fueling either. I haven't done it yet because I have serious reservations about the water jacket seals and other heat issues. The same weaknesses the WBX suffers from already would be multiplied with turbocharging.

Heres a picture of one of the turbo manifolds I make, this one for 1997 - 2000 honda civic http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/honda/hondamanifoldahort.htm

Gary Lee http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/vanagonrack.htm