Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:44:19 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: 1990 Carat...Overheating Saga that won't end....Help????

At 9/6/02 06:15 PM, you wrote: >hills. Mechanic found distibuter was hanging >up...screwing up timing. Replaced distributer with a >spare.

Hmmm, I thought the dist was electronic. I can't think of an item in it that would "hang up" and affect the timing. The timing advance is controlled by the ECU isn't it?

Now...here is another oddity. My front fan/blower >doesn't work. I've been using the rear blower/heater >to pull heat off the engine when she gets hot. When I >do this the vent by my right foot (above accelerator) >blows cold....but will suddenly start blowing hot >air...and the engine temp will drop. Then it will blow >cold again.

Sounds like air in the coolant system. Have you or your mechanic done the coolant bleeding process? If your mechanic is not familiar with the vanagon, he may not know it is necessary. This would also explain the flashing light. When the engine is running the water pump will pump all the water out of the coolant tank and then it will look low to the sensor. Engine off, or even at idle, it will fill back up.

Good Luck, Edward